National Express is recruiting for a Head of Engineering to be based out of its Start Hill, Bishops Stortford depot.
Salary: £65,000 per annum plus car allowance and bonus.
As our Head of Engineering for London & the Airports, you will be reporting to the Engineering Director and based from any one of our sites in the South East. You will control and coordinate management of the engineering functions in the South East in order to ensure high standards of servicing, repair and vehicle presentation. Ensuring that each unit is managed in a cost effective and safe manner which ensures a reliable, high quality supply of vehicles for the Operations teams. Absolute focus is to be given to safety, lost mileage reduction, PVR (& minimising VOR), fleet reliability, R&M contract management and budget management. In addition, ensure the local garage Engineering teams take responsibility and fully understand their role with regard to site responsibility and safety of employees, contractors, public and the vehicles at all times
What you’ll do…
- Management of garage Engineering Management including sickness and holiday cover, and individual development plans across all relevant locations.
- In conjunction with relevant Engineering Managers, ensure vehicle maintenance and repair standards are met and maintained in a consistent manner, in line with Company policy and procedures.
- Reduce the amount of bus VOR to a minimum, within budgetary restraints and to seek to continually improve fleet reliability, thereby minimising lost mileage.
- Provide Engineering and management support to garage Engineering teams when deficiencies are identified.
- Assist with the formulation and implementation of appropriate action plans as and when required, in order to improve overall Engineering standards and service delivery.
- In accordance with the overall Engineering strategy, implement ‘best practice’ across Engineering Operations to ensure continual improvements in fleet presentation, productivity, effectiveness and value for money.
- Hold regular meetings with direct reports, and relevant stakeholders to give/receive feedback, understand current issues, report on new policies and procedures affecting the Engineering function and to agree ongoing actions to include functional/external inputs as appropriate.
- Work with central Engineering to implement systems and measures that will identify regular issues/defects with vehicles, systems or parts, arrange for these to be investigated and resolved, and processes and measurements are evaluated whilst ensuring costs to the business are minimised.
- Ensure budgetary controls are in place, closely managed and escalated in accordance with agreed departmental budgets.
- Agree and manage productivity improvements and standards within geographical span of control.
- Work with the Engineering Supervisors to develop the effectiveness, safety and reliability of the Engineering facilities.
- Ensure that garage Engineering and Operations functions work together effectively and seek to build relationships with both teams to improve processes.
- Ensure that depot/location Engineering Supervision responsibilities are fully understood by the relevant management teams and are carried out as per Company policy
- Ensure that supervision is allocated to all working shifts and that safe working practises are adhered to as per Company policy
- Work towards achieving the relevant KPIs within your sphere of influence.
What you’ll need…
- Excellent understanding and experience of the road passenger transport sector with particular emphasis on the Engineering function, including all relevant legal and external regulations and requirements.
- Excellent working knowledge of all daily garage Engineering procedures, including all current processes and procedures, health and safety regulations, legal obligations.
- Appreciation of the needs of the Operational function and the ability to identify areas for improvement within Engineering and then formulate/implement effective action plans
- Flexible approach to working hours – able to work out-of-hours for meetings or operational requirements.
- CPC Holder (National Certificate of Professional Competence for Bus and Coach Operations)
- Ability to manage teams to achieve high standards of performance in a unionised environment.
What we offer in return for your hard work and commitment…
- Free Bus & Coach travel for yourself
- Complimentary coach travel for a Nominated Person or complimentary bus travel for a Spouse or Partner
- 50% discount for friends and family on full fares on our coach services
- Company pension
- Life Assurance
- Employee Assistance programme
- Private online GP service
National Express is proud to be a Disability Committed organisation. We therefore welcome applications from disabled candidates. Please let us know in your application if you have any accessibility needs.
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we receive a high volume of applications before the advertised closed date.
Things to Note…
At National Express, we are really proud of our health and safety record and as a result, we operate a Drugs and Alcohol Policy which is applicable to all employees.
As part of your initial assessment, we will complete Drug and Alcohol testing and you may be subject to random tests during your employment.
To apply for this position please click here.